Saturday, May 24, 2014

Days of Future Past

In my humble opinion, this is the best film in the X-Men franchise in a long while. Perhaps the best since the first one.  
Yes, the premise and plot are far-fetched. Of course the characters are one-dimensional, especially Kitty Pryde and  Blink, who doesn’t get to utter a single line. And Jennifer Lawrence’s role doesn’t give her much room to display her acting skills. All that comes with the territory in this sort of entertainment. 
Pay no heed to picky film critics, such as The Telegraph’s Robbie Collin. His standards are too lofty to apply to mass-market summer films about comic book characters. I don’t require that all my films be like Ingmar Bergman. Go see this one if you want to lose yourself in frothy entertainment with awe-inspiring special effects, time-travelling butt-kicking flawed superheroes (Wolverine), scheming evil authority figures (Major Stryker),  and Jennifer Lawrence running around half-nekkid in blue body paint. That last bit made me feel I was travelling back in time myself, to the days when I was a 14-year-old boy. Total hotness, especially in 3-D!
If you’re a real X-Men fan, stick around until the credits are over for a brief bonus teaser scene for the next film: X-Men Apocalypse, due out in 2016. When the lights came up, I noticed that everyone who waited for that teaser were males of a certain age. That’s my generation. Maybe that's why the title references an old Moody Blues album. 
Link: 

No comments: