Monday, March 12, 2018

Childrens' TV of the 1960s

Before senility robs me of these memories, I have assembled this list of lesser-known childrens' TV shows and short serials in the New York metropolitan area during the early 1960s.  In alphabetical  order:
  • Diver Dan - never managed to hook up with Miss Minerva
This list would not be complete without these highlights from the original Mickey Mouse Club show. Although it doesn't fit my "lesser-known" criteria, it was definitely my favorite, in part due to: 
  • Mouseketeer Darlene Gillespie, my very first crush - I would have died of embarrassment if anyone suspected back then, but now it can be told.
  • The serials, especially The Adventures of Spin and Marty, The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure and Annette


Mouseketeer Darlene Gillespie
It was my fondness for these shows that lead my parents to impose restrictive "TV watching hours." The rules were taped to the television set in the basement. But that is another story. 

Links


These two web sites are simply outstanding, comprising the deepest dive into their subjects I've ever seen. 


New York City Local TV Shows Roundup


The Original Micky Mouse Club Show

No comments: