Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Facebook User Revolt!

Let me be quite clear about this: these are the reasons I deactivated my Facebook account. 
  1. I am troubled by Facebook's linkage, indirect or not, to Russia's interference in our presidential election.
  2. I dislike Cambridge Analytica's use of my Facebook information to develop political micro-messaging. A politician with enough money to buy this data gains an edge over his opponents. Political campaigns ought to be conducted on a level playing field.
  3. Due to its unfiltered nature, social media in general and Facebook in particular have become an ideal platform for the dissemination of alternative facts, half-truths and outright fake news. This is harmful to society, as it weakens trust in the legitimate media. 
  4. Engaging in online political debates is sapping my energy and my tranquility. I am appalled to find out the politics of some of my friends -- educated and mature people that I thought I knew. Sometimes I can't resist the urge to set them straight. Then they fire back. I am weary of this conflict. 
  5. My final issue is quite personal. I am a man with an active imagination and time on his hands. It was just too tempting to dream up clever posts and post them on Facebook. But that was only the beginning. I would keep checking to see how people reacted to my cleverness.  Then I'd react to their reaction, a vicious circle that can go on indefinitely. This is attention-seeking behavior. I'm embarrassed to say that I was so focused on obtaining the validation of others. It became too much a part of my daily routine, for no useful purpose. 
I realize that this blog is just another form of social media. Is it fair play to condemn Facebook while hoping people will read my blog? Am I saying that all social media is tainted, except for my blog? One could argue that this blog is simply another example of attention-seeking behavior.
I have to stop thinking about this now. It's all too much for me. Too much to bear. 

No comments: