Sunday, May 12, 2019

Nightmare Alley (1947)

Last night, watching Turner Classic Movies, I stumbled across a film that I've been searching for since childhood. I saw part of it on television as an adolescent, and while I’d forgotten the title and most of the plot, two scenes made a big impression on me all those years ago. 
The Geek


 In one, a carnival barker tosses a live chicken to a sideshow performer styled The Geek, announcing: "And now ladies and gentlemen, it's feeding time."  In the second, a pretty female carny demonstrates her electric chair act for a sheriff. He’s snooping around because he’s been told of performances involving live chickens and women in scanty outfits. 

 I can now report that the movie containing those scenes is Nightmare Alley (1947). It's an excellent film noir with many redeeming features, including some great acting by Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, the fetching Colleen Gray (who plays Molly/Electra) and Helen Walker. 

 I was hoping Nightmare Alley might also contain another scene from a movie whose title I’d forgotten, involving a runaway carousel. But as it turns out, that’s in Alfred Hitchcock's Strangers On A Train (1951).

2 comments:

Rondo Hatton said...

Nightmare Alley is definitely a classic. Another noir movie with a nice scene at an amusement pier (not quite a carnival) is "Woman on the Run." Another good one is the Orson Welles movie "The Lady from Shanghai," which has that classic scene in a hall of mirrors.

Sonny said...

Thanks for the comment, Rondo, and the film recommendations. I'll check out those movies you mentioned.
-- Sonny