Friday, December 04, 2020

Richard Williams Goes Disco

Noted music critic and English hipster Richard Williams has just published a list of his favorite disco songs. 

When he was writing for Melody Maker, back in the 1960s, I read his articles religiously. This was the heyday of titanic acts like Cream, Traffic, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Clodagh Rodgers (heh heh) and the like. So it's a bit of a shock to learn that Williams even listened to disco. And to think of him taking the time to compile a list of his favorites... well, I'll be damned, as my father used to say. What is this world coming to? What the hell is going on here?

And I have to ask: why isn’t Boogie Oogie Oogie on this list? And what about Boogie Night? I’m Your Boogie Man? (I like songs with "boogie" in the title.) Lowdown? Stayin’ Alive? And of course: Do the Hustle???

 Seriously, I like a good disco song now and then. But a whole record of them… a whole night of it… how dreadful.

Read his blog entry: It's A Disco Night (Don't Stop).

1 comment:

Rondo Hatton said...

I don’t recognize any of the songs on his list, but I never liked disco anyway—except for a few highlights like Don’t Leave Me This Way and If I Can’t Have You. There were two kinds of young people in the New York area in the late ‘70s: disco people and New Wave/Punk Rock people. I was in the latter group.