Thursday, June 30, 2022

Abbott and Costello's Jack and the Beanstalk (1952)

Important news: this “classic” Abbott and Costello film from 1952 is now out on BluRay:  https://www.classicflix.com/blog/2022/04/18/jack-and-the-beanstalk-70th-anniversary-limited-edition-this-july

Important news? Well, it’s important to me, and I shall tell you why. When I was in elementary school, I had a birthday party. The highlight was to be a double feature at the local movie theater: Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd and Abbott and Costello’s Jack and the Beanstalk feature (mentioned above). My dad took me and a few of my friends to The Strand Cinema to see it. 

But at some point before the Jack and the Beanstalk movie started, he announced that we were leaving. I had the strong impression that it was all too much for him to bear.  

On the way out, I protested that we wanted to see Abbott and Costello meet Jack and the Beanstalk. But to no avail. He made us leave anyway. He simply would not, could not, stand any more Abbott and Costello. And that was that. There was a bit of a scene with my mother when we got home and I explained what happened. 

No comments: